Faulconbridge Public School

Learn to Live

Telephone02 4751 2208


About our school

History of Faulconbridge Public School

The most well-known historical figure in Faulconbridge is local resident Sir Henry Parkes. He named Faulconbridge after his mother, Martha Faulconbridge. Parkes rose from a poverty-stricken childhood to become Prime Minister of the colony of New South Wales. He is also known as the "Grand Old Man" of Australian politics, and "Father of Federation". He was knighted to become Sir Henry.
More info: The Henry Parkes Foundation

Faulconbridge railway station, built in 1902 and the post office were established on Henry Parkes' initiative. He also built walking tracks in the nearby gullies.

Faulconbridge has one of two remaining public level crossings in the Blue Mountains, and also a private one.

Timber was once an important part of the local economy. The remains of a cable railway and sawmill can still be found in the bush.

The Corridor of Oaks located in Jackson Park, is a national memorial. Every Prime Minister of Australia since federation, or their nearest surviving relative on their behalf, has planted a tree in this park.

The Norman Lindsay Gallery is located on Chapman Parade, just a stone throw from the school. Norman Lindsay also lived at Everton House located next to the school grounds for 2 years.

Faulconbridge Public School will be celebrating its 50th anniversary this year 2015. The official opening ceremony was held 19th of August 1967.

The photo below announced the opening of the school in the newspaper with the following description. "Another new school has been opened on the Lower Blue Mountains, at Faulconbridge.  The school at the corner of Western Highway and Grose Rd, opened with Mr R Bembrick as head master and 110 pupils, before construction work had properly finished. The school is severed, and its grounds cover seven acres. A large number of pine trees are growing in the grounds."